In kopitiam talk, almost every armchair politico throws out his expert opinion, but what do they really know about politics in Sabah?
EVERY armchair politico knows that Sabah’s 25 parliamentary seats are key to winning Putrajaya. And in kopitiams, they talk as if they know my state.
But do they actually know the difference between SAPP and SUPP or Tun Fuad Stephens and Tan Sri Stephen Kalong Ningkan?
Here’s a quiz on Sabah Politics 101.
1) Which of these is not a Sabah-based party?
a) PBS (Parti Bersatu Sabah)
b) PBRS (Parti Bersatu Rakyat Sabah)
c) SPF (Sabah People’s Front)
d) SAPP (Sabah Progressive Party)
e) SUPP (Sarawak United People’s Party)
2) In 1993, how many nominations did Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim receive from the 20 Sabah Umno divisions in his challenge against Tun Ghafar Baba for the Umno deputy president?
3) Who among these men are not brothers?
a) Datuk Musa Aman (Sabah Chief Minister) and Datuk Seri Anifah Aman (Foreign Minister)
b) Tan Sri Harris Salleh (former Sabah chief minister) and Datuk Abdul Ghapur Salleh (Umno’s Kalabakan MP)
c) Tan Sri Joseph Pairin Kitingan (Sabah Deputy Chief Minister) and Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan (State Reform Party Sabah chapter chairman)
d) Datuk Seri Lajim Ukin (Beaufort Umno chief and Deputy Housing and Local Government Minister) and Ramli Ukin (Beaufort PKR chief)
e) Datuk James Ongkili (former Sabah Deputy Chief Minister and Justice Minister) and Datuk Seri Dr Maximus Ongkili (Science, Technology and Innovation Minister)
4) Who is not a Sabah Umno MP?
a) Kota Belud MP Datuk Abdul Rahman Dahlan
b) Kinabatangan MP Datuk Bung Mokhtar Radin
c) Papar MP Datuk Rosnah Rashid Shirlin
d) Beluran MP Datuk Ronald Kiandee
e) Ranau MP Datuk Siringan Gubat
5) Which of the following is not a parliamentary constituency in Sabah?
a) Kota Belud
b) Kota Marudu
c) Kota Kinabalu
d) Kota Samarahan
6) Which party did not contest in Sabah but has three assemblymen and two state ministers in the state?
7) Which party pulled out of Barisan Nasional in 1990?
8) How long did PBS president Tan Sri Joseph Pairin Kitingan wait in a Mercedes Benz (later a Toyota Landcruiser) outside the Istana gate before he was sworn in as Sabah Chief Minister in 1994?
a) one hour
b) 24 hours
c) 36 hours
9) Which of these is not a campaign slogan?
a) Ini kali lah (This is the time)
b) Aramaitii (Kadazandusun for “Let’s be merry”)
c) Misompuru Tokou Wagu (Kadazandusun for “Let’s unite again”)
d) Sabah for Sabahans
10) Who among these men is not a rotated Sabah Chief Minister?
a) Tun Sakaran Dandai (Umno)
b) Datuk Seri Salleh Said Keruak (Umno)
c) Datuk Yong Teck Lee (SAPP)
d) Tan Sri Bernard Dompok (Upko)
e) Datuk Seri Osu Sukam (Umno)
f) Tan Sri Chong Kah Kiat (LDP)
g) Datuk Musa Aman (Umno)
11) Sabah Chief Minister Tun Fuad Stephen, ministers Datuk Salleh Sulong, Datuk Peter Mojuntin and Chong Thien Vun, and assistant minister Darius Binion were killed in a plane crash. When did this happen?
a) 5. 5.1965
b) 6. 6.1976
c) 7. 7.1987
d) 8. 8.1998
12) Tun Mustapha Harun was…
a) head of Umno Marudu which was the only division in Sabah to nominate Ghafar as Umno deputy president in 1993
b) a Sabah Chief Minister
c) a Sabah TYT
d) United Sabah National Organisation (Usno) president
e) all of the above